Sunday, October 19, 2014

Brillance and Delays

The other day I was on Skype with an old friend who, prior to the Skype  chat, had known about Eli's autism diagnosis through our catching up texts. While on Skype Eli just suddenly turned up blabbing words he learned from his flash cards and so my friend exclaimed, how come you keep saying your son doesn't talk while I can see that he speaks. Look at him hes talkative!"

At that point I don't know how to explain to her how autism goes. Knowing my friend, I can tell she probably has not encountered someone who has been affected by autism ever at all nor try to research at all about it. Anyhow, I can forgive her for that, because back then I never do too.

My autistic son is living in the spectrum of a combination of brilliance and delays. No point in comparing him with the other normal kids. There's actually no point in comparing normal kids with any other kids at all! and yet, people still do.

For now what we have discovered is that it's easy to teach him concepts. The concept of shapes, and fruits, or parts of the body. He only talks when he reads or if he's identifying the things around him, like if he sees a car, he'd say "car," but you ask him, "What is your name?" and "How old are you?"he never answers. With this we all have to see to it he doesn't get lost. Him being a wandering kind is part of the issue.

Things are coming along for him because of his therapy and I hope that hell be able to find the connection between the things he knows and the spoken language so that he'd be able to communicate. But I also do not really know what developments he may have tomorrow, the next few, day, or the next few weeks.

We his family, will just have to take the journey willingly.




No comments:

Post a Comment